Wednesday 30 July 2014

Get up and glow

Personally, I love having skin that glows, so figured today I'd share some of the ways I use to fake that glowly look with make up. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend you try all of these steps in one go as you may look a little extreme, You can pick and choose the ideas you think will be best for you for you. I also love that so many of these products can be used in more than one way!
Prime Time
Illuminating primers and moisturisers are a wonderful way to get glowing skin with minimal effort, they also have added properties such as maximising make up wear time and hydrating the skin! Personally I love using a illumining primer if I'm going for a more minimal look as you don't need to wear a foundation on top and can simply add concealer to problem areas. Failing that they're even great for making normal foundations that extra bit  glowy! I have three glow getters that use to prime my face although there are so many like these on the market.
I'll start with the priciest product first, Origins Vitazing (£29.00/50ml)personally I was lucky enough to pick this up really cheap in a blog sale pretty much brand new. Vitazing just makes my face glow like no other product I own! It's one of those mostistisers which starts of white then adapts to your skintone. Personally this comes out a little too dark on my skin, although when teamed with a paler foundation this leaves my skin looking great and I really enjoy having it in my collection. Next up is a magazine freebie I fell in love with in the form of Benefit's 'that girl' Primer (£22.50/11ml), this just leaves my face looking brightened and feeling smooth, this also doubles up as a highlighter which is always great and I will sorely miss it when I finish this sample! Lastly I have a more budget primer which to be honest I'm yet to put to the test, although figured it was worth a mention as many hail the Technic Prime it (£4.86/33ml) as a dupe for 'that girl', I'm going to be putting this to the test in the coming months so would love to know if you'd like to see this in a review/dupe post!
It's all about the base.
If priming's not your thing another super easy way to get that face glowing is by using foundations which claim to have anti fatigue properties or promise users 'instant radiance' like this MUA Undress your skin foundation (£5.00/35ml) , Such foundations require no extra effort in the morning so are pretty ideal for glow lovers who are always running late like me! Some others in my collection include this 123 perfect colour correcting cream from Bourjois (£9.99/30ml), and this wake me up foundation from Rimmel (£8.99/30ml).
A wonderful tip that I have been learnt over the years is that you can instantly make any foundation an illumining one with a touch of liquid highlight! simply mix a dot of highlighter and a pump of foundation on the back of your hand and you are good to go!
That all over Glow! 
Quite possibly my favourite way to achieve that all over glow to my fact is to swap your mattifying powder for an illuminating one! There aren't too many on the high street although I have two and really like them both! The first is this Bourjois Java Rice Loose Powder (£9.99/3.5g) which I have loved since discovering it last summer, although if you find loose powders too messy Soap & Glorys Glow All Out (£11.00/7.5g) may be for you! (It also has an added mirror too)
If your Scared to try these all over these powders they can also be used as a really subtle highlighter too, which leads me to my next tip..
Highlight, highlight, highlight!
One of my favourite make up products are highlighters! Although if you're on a budget its well worth noting that some of the products in previous sections will work as a highlight too,such as the two primers and all over face powders! Highlighters can be applied in many areas for added glow such as on the tops of your cheekbones, down the nose, and on the brow bone. Although personally I mainly use these on my cheekbones and occasionally down my nose.
There are three main types of formula, Powder, liquid and cream. Although personally I really like all three. Here I have two of each! I'll start with powders, Topshop Sunbeam (£10.00/6.5g) is unlike anything else I own, In pan form it looks really yellow although on the cheekbones it's a really wearable and just gives your skin that added warmth. My next powder is more of a cooler tone, although it is probably my favourite ever highligher MUA undress your skin highligher (£3.00/7.5g) looks amazing on the cheek bones, It's also one of the cheapest ones in my collection so i was shocked by just how much I love it! Sadly the lid has snapped off of this one meaning its been well and truly battered and now lives barely used at the back of a draw, although I have no doubt that I would use this everyday if I still could. 
My First liquid highlight was Benefits Sunbeam (£19.50/30ml) which I loved I used this everyday for months so I have no idea how I still have some left in the sample! This is just a lovely bronzey shade and I really love wearing it. The second one I own is this really buget friendly one from Chit Chat (£1.00/12ml), This is more of a pinky shade but I really love the look of it ont! I've managed to use around a third of it already as its so wearable! Finally we have cream highlighters, Benefit Watts up (£24.50/9.4g) and Topshop Glowstick in Play up (£10.00)Personally I find with creams you really have to blend, and with ones such as these its best to apply with your fingers rather than directly on! These are actually quite similar to each other only the benefit one looks more bronzed and the Topshop one is more of a champagne shade.

So there you have it, my favourite ways to add a bit of glow into my skin! As you can see I've mentioned a lot of products here so there's no swatches as of yet, although if you want to see more of a product comment below and I'll try and direct you to a review if I have one or try and get one up asap if I can! What do you use to achieve glowing skin?

10 comments:

  1. I love the MUA highlighter, although my lid also snapped off! I bought a new one to replace it :-)

    xxx | daisydaisyxxo
    Enter my giveaway here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will eventually, I miss having one in my make up bag.
      It's just a bit of a pain when you already have so much product left x

      Delete
  2. I always mean to pick up that Topshop highlight, it looks beautiful!

    Catherine, xo // Lady Liquor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love Benefit's Watts Up! Also to make my actual skin more glowy, I use the Trophy Skin home microdermabrasion. It takes dead skin off like no ones business!

    X's - Cassie
    http://www.glossnglitter1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! :) And thank you for the recommendation :) x

      Delete
  4. Great post! I really like the No7 Instant Radiance Highlighter - I recommend trying it :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, I'll be sure to add that one to my wishlist xx

      Delete
  5. I love the MUA highlighter, it's definitely one of my favourites :)

    JordanAlice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to leave it by my mirror so I use it more in the mornings! x

      Delete