Sunday 23 August 2015

Worth the investment? | Bold Metals Flat Contour Brush Review

 Bold Metals Flat Contour Brush Review
Admittedly, I wasn't blown away when I first caught wind of the Real Techniques Bold Metals range last year. Personally I've always valued the fact that Real Techniques are able to offer such high quality brushes at  a reasonable price point and felt like the Bold Metals range really contradicted this idea. However, When I spotted the flat contour brush In a blog sale recently,  I wanted to see how these brushes compared to the original line.
 Bold Metals Flat Contour Brush Review
The appearance of these products is probably one of the biggest differences between the lines. While the original collection had a pretty standard brush design, the Bold Metals range are unlike anything else on the market and stand out from the crowd, complete with different metal finishes depending on the type of brush. 
However while the look of these brushes imply they are somewhat more expensive the quality certainly does not! While you would think a name such as ‘Bold Metals’ would imply that the brush handle is made from some form of metal it is in fact plastic (albeit weighted) and the further towards the point of the handle you get the more hollow it appears.. I almost feel that if you applied the right amount of pressure near the end of one the handle would snap instantly. While the handle quality may be disappointment enough, the brush handles also chip extremely easily making the final look a lot cheaper than the brushes retail price. And the bristles? Dare I say they aren't half as soft as previous Real Techniques brushes.
 Bold Metals Flat Contour Brush Review
Now here’s where things get complicated, as despite my many issues with this particular brush I have fallen head over heels for it! Personally I thought that something so small could not possibly be any good at blending but oh my, I was wrong! The dense design of this brush and my Makeuprevolution blush stick in matte Malibu (£5.00, Superdrug) make a dream team. In fact my non-existent contouring skills are suddenly working wonders, my best friend even commented on how slim my face looked recently. I love that the size of this really allows me to work the product into my cheek bone and control where the product is going.
 Bold Metals Flat Contour Brush Review 301
So would I pay £22.00 for this? Surprisingly yes. While the handle is chipping away and I am forever scared that I will somehow snap the plastic handle, nothing has beaten the effect this brush has had on my makeup routine. 

6 comments:

  1. This post is so helpful! I have been thinking for a while whether to invest on this line. They look lush but are quire pricey.

    Vee// Vee's Petits Tresors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good I got these when they were on sale I'm obsessed with rose gold so I couldn't resist it haha

    Sam || Beautydetour

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to get these solely because they're pretty haha but i can't bring myself to pay for them because i don't pay much attention to my brushes!

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such a good brush, it's just a shame that the quality of the handle lets it down a bit!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a bummer that it chips so easily because the finish is gorgeous!

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got the Bold Metals eyeshadow blend brush and while it's really pretty, when you actually blend, it's very rough on your eyes! Not impressed!

    ReplyDelete